The Court maintains a list of attorneys in private practice who are willing to accept appointments for cases in the Franklin County Municipal Court that are subject to a conflict with the Franklin County Public Defender's Office.
Attorneys can apply to be on the standard Court Appointed Counsel List and the Appellate Appointed Counsel List as well as elect to receive OVI cases.
In order to apply, attorneys must meet the following requirements per Local Rule 16.02:
- Be a licensed Ohio attorney in good standing for at least one year
- Have completed at least six (6) hours of continuing legal education in municipal court criminal practice and procedure (Optional: attorneys wishing to be appointed to misdemeanor OVI cases must have completed at least six (6) hours of continuing legal education in OVI practice and procedure)
- Have experience as lead counsel or co-counsel on ten (10) or more criminal/traffic cases - of the ten cases, at least five (5) must be as lead counsel
- Have practiced in the Franklin County Municipal Court within the past year
- Maintain professional liability (malpractice) insurance in the amount equal to the minimum coverage required by the Ohio Rules of Professional Conduct
On occasion, the Court needs attorneys who are willing to accept appointment as counsel for criminal and traffic appeals originating in the Franklin County Municipal Court.
Please note that because these circumstances occur infrequently, attorneys on this list may only be appointed to one (1) case every five years or so. This rotation is separate from the general rotation on non-OVI cases. Applicants must meet the same requirements for the regular appointed counsel list as well as have experience with criminal appeals.